Tuesday, May 8, 2012

17, 18, 19+ Kids and Counting and Other Travesties Brought to You by TLC

And to wrap-up my trilogy of exasperation, what is with the Duggars? 

Actually, what has happened to The “Learning” Channel? Now known as TLC because its previous name would be deceptive, TLC lays out for its viewers the whole human experience in weekly installments and endless reruns: weddings of the designer-dress, polygamist or gypsy variety; toddlers prancing around while their horrifying repressed mothers vicariously live out their beauty-pageant fantasies; various lifestyle anomalies from hoarding to weird addictions and sexual tastes; death experienced through the eyes of the Long-Island Medium. Oh, and also cupcakes and bakers with mafia undertones. Oye.

And, of course, babies – and babies, and more babies. A Baby Story, Make Room for Multiples, Baby’s First Day, Pregnant at 70 (think about THAT one for a minute) – these are a few of your viewing options. But the fan favorite seems to be 19 Kids and Counting. I admit I have watched about an episode and a half of 19 Kids and Counting. Maybe it was only 18 Kids at that time. And I admit that’s about all I’ve watched of it, so maybe my perspective is limited. But at what point do you say, “OK, I think my family’s big enough now.  My oldest grandchild is younger than my youngest child and I’m pregnant at the same time as my daughter (maybe it’s daughter-in-law). Maybe this isn’t the healthiest situation for my children.” I feel like I’m beating a dead horse, but the same resentments creep in as when I think about the Octomom. She actually has FEWER children than Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar. 

While it seems the Duggars do provide their children with a loving and nurturing home (no bitterness there), I can’t help wonder if part of this ever-expanding family is driven by the TLC spotlight. At some point, don’t those children start to feel like just a number, adding up to little more than justification for greenlighting another season? I just don’t understand why someone deserves a television show simply for their ability to procreate.  What does that say about those of us who can’t do that? Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. What is the “learning” to be done here? I’m honestly curious – can anyone clue me in – do the Duggars have a platform, a cause they champion in exchange for their celebrity?  They seem like the kind of people who might.  I could respect them a lot more for that.

With as much as I find wrong with the family itself, it is TLC that is really the villain here. Can the channel formerly focused on learning redeem itself? Looking at TLC’s website, I am surprised to see listed in their programming “A Conception Story,” dedicated to following the journeys of several couples with varying circumstances as they try to have a baby.  Highlighting infertility and conception options seems to be a part of this. Kudos TLC. This is what I’m talking about – let’s show the other, less-explored side of creating a family. Maybe this show will help lift infertility out of the shadows. While we’re at it, let’s throw in “An Adoption Story.”

Oh wait, turns out this is just a web series. That precious TV space remains reserved for those tiara-attired toddlers, gypsy brides, and THREE shows featuring the Cake Boss. Does anyone else miss the days of Trading Spaces?

No comments:

Post a Comment